Monday, August 14, 2006

The Rogers Family

Davy and I now feel pretty confident that we can win the last post prize, so here goes: I (Jim) got to know Jordan five years ago, when my eldest daughter, Katie, and I were Habitat volunteers in Braga, Portugal, where Jordan was the Project Manager. It was on that trip that we started the tradition of early morning walks through historic Braga for exercise of the body and the mind. I came back to Braga the next year with my younger daughter, Betsy, co-leading a trip with one of the team members from our first visit, Kathy Davison. Three years later (last summer), Kathy led another group back to Braga, so I came once again, this time with my wife, Bonnie, and son, Davy. As you can tell, I have found Habitat trips to be very rewarding experiences, as have my wife and all of my children. When Jordan proposed a trip to Mozambique, Davy jumped at the chance.

Davy is a senior in high school at Walt Whitman High School in Bethesda, Maryland, just outside of Washington, DC. He loves music (both listening to all kinds of music as well as learning to play his guitar), is a great athlete, especially with any sport involving a ball, and is an excellent writer and filmmaker. He is the JV Sports Editor for the Whitman school newspaper and he will be bringing some video equipment in hopes of memorializing this trip on film. Here is a picture of Davy and his two sisters taken on the Amalfi Coast last April when we were all celebrating my wife and my 25th wedding anniversary. (There are no pictures of me because there aren't enough gray pixels to get all of my hair.)

I am a lawyer with the law firm of Latham & Watkins, where I have practiced for 25 years (so far). I am a corporate lawyer and do deals, especially in the communications and technology areas, although some deals involve life sciences and biotech and some involve fast-food restaurants! Between work and family I'm pretty busy, but I try to find time to play, to stay in shape, and to be involved in pro bono and charitable activities. I like to travel, and I've never been to sub-Saharan Africa, so I'm very excited about seeing a new part of the world, giving back to the community, reuniting with Jordan, and brushing up on my few words of Portuguese.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home